Articles Tagged with defective smoke detector

An apartment fire at 16 Fairgrounds Road in Sturbridge caused fatal injuries to an elderly woman who lived there. The fire occurred on April 22 and was caused by a microwave oven. Sturbridge Woman Killed in Accidental Apartment Fire

Fire officials further discovered that the apartment lacked an operable smoke detector. Firefighters immediately transported her to the hospital but she later died.

The Worcester County District Attorney’s office will release the name of the victim at a later date.

State and local fire officials are working with the building’s owner to ensure that each apartment has an operable smoke detector with functioning back-up batteries.

Continue reading