A car accident is not something that you want to think about. However, in the aftermath of an accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical treatment immediately if you have been injured.
Seek Medical Help
Many times following a crash people are in shock or do not think they have been injured if there is no obvious sign of physical injury. In many cases of car accident injuries, symptoms do not appear until hours or days later.l
Immediate medical treatment is important for two reasons:
- It is essential for your own health and well-being that any injuries are treated right away before they linger or become worse
- It is important to have a proper record of your injuries when you later start your personal injury claim. Waiting until weeks after the accident will cast doubt on your claim of being injured in the crash and will cause skepticism with the insurance company.
Follow-Up Medical Treatment
You should always do a follow-up visit after you initial appointment. It is likely that your regular doctor or the doctor at the hospital will recommend at least one follow up to check on the status of your injuries. If you fail to keep your follow up appointment you are risking not only your health, but also your claim. It is important for your overall well-being that you are compliant with any all recommended medical treatment.
Maximizing Your Medical Treatment
Your recovery should be the main focus following an accident. Maximizing your medical treatment will help the process. Keep these ideas in mind:
- Make sure you specifically describe your symptoms to your doctor, including any ways in which your life is affected as a result.
- Prepare questions for your doctor before the appointment and ensure that your questions are answered to your satisfaction during the appointment.
- Arrive on time to your appointment and do not cancel an appointment unless there is an emergency.
- Follow any and all medical advice that you are given with regard to physical activity, working, etc.
- If you are unsatisfied with the results of your medical treatment, seek another opinion from a second doctor. Sometimes you may need to search around for awhile until you find the right doctor.
- Take the healing process slowly. Not all car accident victims recover from their injuries in a day or a week. Your body needs time to recover from the immense physical trauma of a car accident.
Boston Injury Attorneys
We know that the process of experiencing a car accident is never enjoyable. However, it is important that you remain focused on your recovery at all times following the accident. The most vital thing you can do at this time is seek expert medical attention to treat your injuries.
To discuss a personal injury claim with us today, please call our office at 617-367-2900.
Note for readers: Information provided in this post is gathered from secondary sources and not independently confirmed for accuracy. Please bring to our attention any inaccuracies that may be included so they may be corrected, or information removed as requested.
DISCLAIMER: Information provided in this post is not intended to be used as legal or medical advice, nor disrespect the victims or families in any way. We are providing this post for general information on everyday tragedies and presented in a manner to protect and honor the victims and their families. Minor differences can change the outcome of cases, based on jurisdictional laws. The information provided in this post should not be relied upon as legal or medical advice. We suggest seeking assistance from legal or medical professionals for your personal circumstance, when necessary.