A car accident is scary and unexpected. Even in cases where no one is hurt, an accident leaves you feeling shaken up and on edge. When there are injuries, an accident takes on an entirely new level of severity. Many people are rightfully focused on healing in the days and weeks after a car accident. However, what some do not realize is that these times are crucial to ensuring that their personal injury case is not damaged by their own actions.
An Attorney’s Perspective
At the Jeffrey Glassman Injury Lawyers, our team assists car accident victims on a daily basis. We see people who are struggling through what may be the worst time of their lives. We also see many common mistakes that these people make following an accident. If you have been hurt in a Massachusetts car accident, please keep the following advice in mind:
- Get Medical Treatment Right Away: If you have even the slightest bit of pain from an accident, you should seek medical treatment immediately. Sometimes, accident injuries do not manifest themselves until much later. If you wait too long to seek treatment, the insurance company will use this fact against you in questioning whether you were really hurt in the crash
- Gather Evidence at the Scene: Gather as much evidence as you can at the scene of the crash. Take photographs of any unusual roadway conditions or other factors that you encountered. This evidence may be invaluable later as you pursue your claims.
- Obtain a Police Report: An insurance claim will go nowhere if you do not have written proof that the accident occurred. The police report is extremely important when it comes to determining the sequence of events leading up to the crash and the officer’s opinion as to fault.
- Do Not Speak to the Insurance Company: An insurance company representative will contact you almost immediately after you report a claim. Speaking with an adjuster before you talk to an attorney can dramatically affect your case. Any statements you make a probably being recorded and will be used against you later on if possible.
- Consult an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer: This is the most important step you can take. A lawyer is needed to guide you through your claim step-by-step to ensure that your case value is maximized. Your attorney will help you in speaking with the insurance company and will ensure your legal rights are protected.
Massachusetts Personal Injury Attorneys
At Jeffrey Glassman Injury Lawyers, we maintain a robust personal injury and car accident practice. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Massachusetts car accident, please call us at 617-367-2900 today for a free consultation to discuss your case.
Note for readers: Information provided in this post is gathered from secondary sources and not independently confirmed for accuracy. Please bring to our attention any inaccuracies that may be included so they may be corrected, or information removed as requested.
DISCLAIMER: Information provided in this post is not intended to be used as legal or medical advice, nor disrespect the victims or families in any way. We are providing this post for general information on everyday tragedies and presented in a manner to protect and honor the victims and their families. Minor differences can change the outcome of cases, based on jurisdictional laws. The information provided in this post should not be relied upon as legal or medical advice. We suggest seeking assistance from legal or medical professionals for your personal circumstance, when necessary.